Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Another round of Use That Ingredient!
--Smoked Paprika Pimiento Cheese



Today's ingredient is smoked paprika:



I can't remember exactly why I purchased this smoked paprika. I believe it was for these ribs. I have used it in a few places, in place of other 'smokey' ingredients that I didn't have or couldn't find (liquid smoke, smoked salt, etc) but I still have quite a bit of it left. When I saw this recipe in a cookbook that I checked out of the library, I immediately knew I had to make it:



Smoked Paprika Pimiento Cheese
Cheater BBQ Copyright 2008

8 ounces sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups) I used orange Cheddar
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice I used bottled since they were only selling lemons by the bag in the grocery store

COMBINE all the ingredients in a medium bowl using a wooden spoon or a fork. Scoop into a serving bowl or use for open-faced melted cheese sandwiches.
__________________

I'm familiar with pimiento cheese. I've seen it in cookbooks, I've seen it on Food Network. I think this is my first time experiencing it. It won't be my last. This is goooooooooood stuff. That bit of smokiness really pushed it over the edge for me. Now, I know it looks very decadent but don't worry, that was whole grain white bread I used LOL.

I did try some of it melted under the broiler, and it was good, but I preferred it not melted. I will make this again, someday. I'm going to have to file this one under 'very dangerous' along with Oat-Fashioned Strawberry Dessert and just about any brownie recipe. I couldn't keep my hands off of this stuff.

This cookbook is written by some 'reformed' BBQ'ers. They used to do it the 'right way' but they got tired of it and started using crockpots, the oven ,etc to duplicate the taste of BBQ without all the fuss. I haven't tried any of their BBQ recipes yet but I'm looking forward to it. I might have to pick up my own copy of this book.

My library always has new cookbooks yet the cookbook section never expands. They must be weeding out some of their cookbooks but I've never seen a cookbook at their book sale. I'm jonesing for a cheap cookbook source. I checked out the local consignment shop again and their prices are ridiculous.

Question of the Day: Do you have a lot of spices or do you manage with just a few? I think I have a bit of a 'problem' with spices as well as cookbooks. I have a cupboard filled to the brim with spices and spice blends. My husband tends to put bottles of cheap spices in my Christmas stocking too. That's how I end up with things like 'Cajun blend'. I admit I hold onto spices longer than I probably should but it's just impossible to use it all within a year or so.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I have a lot of spices. I also like to mix up my own spice blends for things like fajitas, tacos and rub for bbq.
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I'm guilty. I have an entire shelf full of spices I've only used once. I need to get on the ball and look up recipes to use them up.
And for some reason I've run across a ton of recipes either making or using pimiento cheese this past week. Haven't had any since childhood...of course back then it always came in those little bottles.

Randi said...

You could always fill celery with it too.

I have TONS of spices. I made a very dangerous trip to The Spice House in August.

Have you checked out the used cookbooks on Amazon? I've picked up books for 10 cents plus 3.99 shipping.